Essence Property Investment and Management Ltd is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of UK data protection law, the data controller is Essence Property Investment and Management Ltd.
This Privacy Statement applies to the use and processing of personal information collected and used by Essence Property. This policy describes how Essence Property will use your personal data.
Essence Property is the trading name of Essence Property Investment & Management Ltd, Unit 2, 41 Essex Street, Birmingham, B5 4TR (the "Company") which is an independently estate agency. Essence Property is data controllers of your personal data.
References to "Essence Property”, "we" or "us" in this policy describes the Company and the websites which you are visiting.
By using Essence Property websites and mobile applications or otherwise providing your personal information to Knight Frank, you agree to the collection, use and sharing of your information in accordance with this statement. It also describes your data protection rights, including a right to object to some of the processing which we may carry out. More information about your rights, and how to exercise them, is set out in the “What rights do I have?” section of this policy.
Summary of how we use your data
• Essence Property use your personal data to deliver services to you, to send you information about properties and property related services you may request of us or that we think will be of interest to you, also to conduct searches about your identity, your current and past residency addresses, and your right to live in the UK and credit history to meet applicable laws and to provide a recommendation to landlord clients, on your suitability as a tenant
• Information about you is shared with partners as described in this policy who have undertaken to hold your personal data in compliance with applicable laws.
• Where we rely on your consent for direct marketing purposes, you can withdraw this consent at any time.
What information do we collect?
We collect and process personal data about you when you interact with us and our websites and when you register with us to receive our services. The following are examples of information we may collect directly from you:
- Email address
- Postal address
- Username and password
- Telephone and/or fax number
- Date of birth
- Demographic information
- Payment information (such as a credit card) and bank account details
- Future communication preferences
- Telephone number and recordings when you call our customer service line
Other than the personal data which you give us in response to requests from us or other parties to a transaction which you are participating in, information that we collect directly from you includes:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
• information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); pages you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Information Essence collects from other sources.
Sometimes, we receive information about you from third parties. In particular:
• Enquiries through property portals when you request further information on a property or request information or contact from one of our franchisees;
• Previous or current landlords for the purpose of referencing;
• Financial Advisors, mortgage brokers, lenders and solicitors/conveyancing agents through transactions relating to the service we and our Franchisees are providing; and
• Other agents/companies as and when required for purposes which will be disclosed.
• Social Media Companies including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ when you interact with our brand through these platforms;
• Live chat suppliers partnered with us through Live Chat applications hosted on our website;
How do we use this information?
We process this personal data for the following purposes:
• To fulfil a contract. This includes:
o providing our services including processing information in connection with a property's sale or letting, arrangements for the transfers of funds by or to third parties, end of contract arrangements;
o communicating with you.
• as required by us to conduct our business and pursue our respective legitimate interests, in particular:
o we will each use your information to provide services to you before we have a contract with you (for instance sending potential buyers and tenants property details), and to respond to any comments or complaints you may send us;
o if you provide a credit or debit card as payment, we also use third parties to check the validity of the sort code, account number and card number you submit in order to prevent fraud (see data sharing below);
o we use information you provide to investigate any complaints received from you or from others, about our services or the properties which we deal with;
o we will use data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation); and
o we use data of some individuals to invite them to take part in market research;
• Where you give us consent:
o we will send you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services, or other products and services provided by us, members of our group of companies and our partners such as:
Mortgage brokers we are partnered with for mortgage services and advice
Independent financial advisors for advice relating to your property and the services we offer
Solicitors and Conveyancing agents for legal advice relating to your property and the services we offer
o we place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with our Cookies Policy and the information provided to you when those technologies are used; and
o on other occasions where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
• For purposes which are required by law:
o to verify your identity; and
o In response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
The success of our business depends on your trust, and we do not sell your personal information to marketers outside of Essence Property. We share your personal information within Essence Property and as described in this statement. We do not share personal information with marketers outside of Essence Property unless you consent to such sharing, or as described within this statement.
Who will we share this data with, where and when?
We will share your personal data with companies in the same group of companies as us for the purpose of providing a service to you and understanding your use of our products and services.
• Mortgage brokers we are partnered with for mortgage services and advice;
• Independent financial advisors for advice relating to your property;
• Solicitors and conveyancing agents for legal advice relating to your property;
• Any other named party to a signed contract, such as your landlord or tenant;
• Third parties who provide services to the property for maintenance and repairs including plumbers/electricians/builders/carpenters-);
• Surveying companies for surveying services required for the sale/purchase of your property;
• Utilities companies where we are required to do so to adhere to a tenancy agreement;
• Referencing companies to obtain references for letting a property;
• Block managers where a let property is a leasehold property;
• Inventory companies who conduct check ins and check outs; and
• Insurance and warranty companies where you have decided to buy a product or service through us.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
Personal data will also be shared with third party service providers, who will process it on behalf of Martin & Co (UK) Ltd to help us run this website and also to provide our services to you. Such third parties include providers of identity checking, referencing, database management, email communications and live chat services.
In the event that we sell or integrate our business with another business, your details will be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchaser’s adviser and will be passed to the new owners of the business.
Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to direct marketing
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may each have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. In some cases, we are able to send you direct marketing without your consent, where we rely on our respective legitimate interests.
You have an absolute right to opt-out of direct marketing or profiling we carry out for direct marketing, at any time. You can do this by following unsubscribe instructions contained in the communication, or by contacting us using the details set out below.
How long will you retain my data?
Where we process personal data in connection with performing a contract, we will retain Personal Information for a minimum of 6 years to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Where we process personal data for marketing purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests). We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data indefinitely so that we can respect your request in future.
Links to other websites and apps
Our Sites may provide links to other websites and apps for your convenience and information. These websites and apps may operate independently from us. Linked sites and apps may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked websites or apps are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for their content, any use of the websites or apps, or the privacy practices of the websites or apps.
Updates to our Privacy Notice
Any changes we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our policy.
What are your rights?
You have the right to ask us for a copy of your personal data; to correct, delete or restrict (stop any active) processing of your personal data; and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share (port) this data to another controller.
In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the data for direct marketing).
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us using the details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
How do I get in touch with you?
If you have any questions about this policy, or would like to opt out of direct marketing, you can get in touch with us at email@example.com.
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s office (ICO).